Answered By: Laurissa Gann Last Updated: Mar 27, 2018 Views: 39
Authors should ask their publisher to submit to PubMed Central once their paper has been accepted for Publication. They should also cite their NIH grants or the CCSG grant when writing their paper. If the paper is already published and it needs a PMCID, authors should:
- Search PMC to see if the journal is already submitting on the author's behalf.
- Before depositing, contact the publisher and ask them to submit on the author’s behalf.
- If the publisher will not submit, the author, PI or a designee must submit to the NIHMS system.
Here are some e-mail templates you can use to contact publishers or authors to assist in the NIH Public Access Policy compliance process:
1. Ask publisher to deposit paper:
2. Ask corresponding author for final author version of manuscript
3. Next steps for authors when paper is submitted to NIHMS
4. “Nudge” authors for stalled articles awaiting their approval (be sure to enter correct eRA Commons ID; bullet items may change depending on circumstances):