Answered By: Laurissa Gann Last Updated: Dec 17, 2018 Views: 27131
- IMPORTANT! Do not use the backspace key to delete an Endnote Reference from Word! The backspace or delete keys or the "cut" command will remove only the visible portion of the citation. Residual EndNote code may be left behind, which may later affect the automatic numbering of citations and cause errors.
- Highlight the citation in your Word document that you would like to delete.
- Go to the EndNote X7 tab and select Edit & Manage Citation(s)
- A window will pop-up with a listing of the citations you have entered into your manuscript so far. The citation you highlighted will be highlighted blue. Select the Edit Reference tab next to your citation and choose Remove Citation.
- Is it possible to delete all EndNote references/citations from a word document at one time, or must they be deleted individually by following the steps listed above? Thanks!
- There is not a way to delete all EndNote citations at once from your Word document. You can delete them two ways:
1. Highlight the citation within the Word document, go to the EndNote tab, select 'Edit Citations & Manage Citations', 'Edit Reference', 'Remove Citation'.
2. In Word, go to 'Convert Citations and Bibliography', 'Convert to Unformatted Citatons'. This will convert all of your citations to plain text and allow you to manually delete them one by one.
- I'm disappointed that something so obvious as removing all endnote citations is not an in-built function in Endnote. If we have over 500 entries, we'd need to click 500 times to delete everything. Surely it can't be so difficult to program a simple script to remove all traces of citations from a text file? I read another workaround which is to create an empty style, apply it, then convert to plain text - but surely this complicated method should be a one-click button somewhere (with a warning of course).
- Please contact the company with your suggestions for EndNote: http://endnote.com/support. It's helpful for them to hear feedback from multiple people. We agree that it would be much easier if there was a function to delete multiple citations at once.